Public Lecture with Consul Amerika
Public Lecture "Pembangunan Demokrasi dan Perlindungan Hak-Hak Kelompok Minoritas Di Indonesia" Oleh: Mr.Anthony C Woods (consul General Amerika - Medan) yang merupakan kerjasama antara Fakultas Ilmu Sosial dan Ilmu Politik Universitas HKBP Nommensen dengan American Consulate Medan, yang telah diadakan pada hari Rabu, 8 Juni 2011 di Gedung Perpustakaan UHN.
Kuliah Umum ini dihadiri oleh mahasiswa Fakultas Ilmu Sosial dan Ilmu Politik khususnya dan Fakultas Ekonomi, Fakultas Psikologi, dan Fakultas Hukum sebanyak kurang lebih 200 orang dan didampingi oleh Dekan Fisipol Drs. Charles M.Sianturi, MSBA dan juga Wakil Rektor I DR. Tongam Sihol Nababan, SE, MSi,; Wakil Rektor II DR.Timbul Sinaga SE, MSA,; Wakil Rektor III Drs. Maringan Panjaitan, MSi dan Wakil Rektor IV Ir.Pohan Panjaitan, MS, PHd; serta para Dosen Fisipol.
Kuliah Umum dimulai dengan Doa Bersama dan selanjutnya dibuka secara resmi oleh Rektor UHN DR.Ir.Jongkers Tampubolon, MSc dan selanjutnya Mr.Anthony C Woods memberikan materi Kuliah Umumnya selama kurang lebih 2 jam dan diakhiri dengan tanya jawab oleh para mahasiswa dan dosen.
Pembukaan Kuliah Umum oleh Rektor UHN didampingi Dekan Fisipol
Talking Points from Consul Mr.Anthony C Woods :
The Development of Democracy and the Protection of Rights for the Minorities in Indonesia
- In a democratic country, citizens' participation is one of the most fundamental elements in the decision-making process.
- Democracy should not be understood only as the will of the majority but also as the aspiration of minorities.
- Democracy should also be realized as the protection of minority rights, to prevent majority to be a form of tyranny.
- Tolerance is very important in building a healthy democracy.
- To develop a good democracy, it needs to be protected from anti-democratic and intolerant acts, because freedom cannot protect itself.
- Anti-democratic groups in Indonesia are often protected by political elites, politically or financially. With the intention of particular interests, such as to gather more votes in elections. Befriending majority group = Receiving majority vote
- What Indonesia should do? Indonesia should be defending religious freedom and minority rights as ruled in the Indonesian Constitution and Pancasila.
- Bring violation of minority rights cases to proper legal process through gathering various proofs and analysis.
- Last, democracy should be translated not only as political tool but also as protection for civil and political rights.
- The U.S. government discusses religious freedom with the Indonesian government as part of its overall policy to promote human rights.
- New Initiative: on January 25 to 27, 2010, the Indonesian government hosted the first Indonesia-U.S. Interfaith Dialogue under the title "Building Collaborative Communities: Enhancing Cooperation among People of Different Faiths." Delegates included religious leaders, scholars, students, and interfaith activists from the country, the United States, and the region. The event encouraged interfaith action in addressing community needs.
- The U.S. embassy and the consulates in Surabaya and Medan regularly engaged government officials on specific religious freedom issues. Embassy staff at all levels met frequently with religious leaders, officials of Muslim social organizations, and human rights advocates to clarify U.S. policy in support of religious freedom, discuss religious tolerance, and promote respect for religion.
- Embassy staff also met with members of minority religious groups, whose houses of worship or training facilities were forcibly closed, to discuss government response to the closures, as well as religious freedom and pluralism generally.
- US Embassy and Consulates in Indonesia do outreach to the public to emphasize the importance of religious freedom and tolerance in a democratic and diverse society. The embassy and consulates also promoted pluralism and tolerance through exchanges and civil society programs.
Para Wakil Rektor I-IV Beserta Dosen dan Mahasiswa Fisipol, Ekonomi, Psikologi, dan Hukum
Mr. Anthony C. Woods Diberikan Cinderamata Ulos Batak
Photo Bersama Rektor, Para Wakil Rektor, dan Dekan Fisipol